The Endocrine System
Chapter 11 Test Questions
(Answers appear in Appendix A.)
1–5: Match the hormone with the function or feature (choices a–e):
5. luteinizing hormone
a. tropic for the adrenal cortex
b. is controlled by an amine-derived hormone of the
d. stimulation of testosterone production
e. stimulation of uterine contractions during labor
6. In the ﬁ gure below, which hormone (A or B) binds to receptor
X with higher afﬁ nity?
8. Tremors, nervousness, and increased heart rate can all be
a. increased activation of the sympathetic nervous system.
b. excessive secretion of epinephrine from the adrenal medulla.
e. Answers a, b, and c are all correct.
9. Which of the following could theoretically result in dwarﬁ sm?
a. pituitary tumor making excess thyroid-stimulating hormone
b. inactivating mutations of IGF-1 receptors
c. delayed onset of puberty
d. decreased hypothalamic levels of somatostatin
e. normal plasma GH, but decreased feedback of growth
hormone on GHRH
10. Choose the correct statement.
a. During times of stress, cortisol acts as an anabolic hormone
in muscle and adipose tissue.
b. A deﬁ ciency of thyroid hormones would result in increased
cellular concentrations of Na
-ATPase pumps in target
c. The posterior pituitary is connected to the hypothalamus by
long portal vessels.
d. The major way in which cholesterol is delivered to
steroidogenic glands is by diffusion of free cholesterol
through the plasma membrane.
e. A lack of iodide in the diet will have no signiﬁ cant effect on
circulating thyroid hormones for at least several weeks.
11. Low plasma calcium intake causes
a. a PTH-mediated increase in 25-OH D.
b. a decrease in renal 1-hydroxylase activity.
c. a decrease in the urinary excretion of calcium.
d. a decrease in bone resorption.
e. an increase in vitamin D release from the skin.
Concentration of free hormone
Hormone bound to receptor
7. Which is NOT a symptom of Cushing’s disease?
a. high blood pressure
b. bone loss
c. suppressed immune function
e. hyperglycemia (increased blood glucose)
SECTION F CLINICAL TERMS
humoral hypercalcemia of
SECTION F REVIEW QUESTIONS
1. Describe bone remodeling.
2. Describe the handling of calcium by the kidneys and
3. What controls the secretion of parathyroid hormone, and what
are this hormone’s four major effects?
4. Describe the formation and action of 1,25-(OH)
does parathyroid hormone inﬂ uence the production of this
selective estrogen receptor
SECTION F KEY TERMS